Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hide & Seek (Psalm 37:23-24)

It's been a while since I did a "Hide & Seek" post (this is when I pick a Bible verse to try to commit to memory. To HIDE in my heart. To SEEK God's direction for my life).

Today, I received an email from a friend, containing this verse of Scripture along with a short devotional about seeking God's direction:

The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.
Psalm 37:23-24


Her reasons for sending me the email were based on a conversation we had over the phone yesterday. During our chat, I was lamenting the details of my busy week. (It's VBS at the church, my in-laws are in town along with my niece for a summer visit, I'm attempting to stay focused at work and failing miserably at it, I might add, and the AC in my car has decided it's given up on fighting the 100+ temperatures outside.) Add the general fatigue of pregnancy to the list, and I'm just plain tapped out.

I told my friend that I'd arrived at the conclusion that I just needed someone else to make all my decisions for me for the remainder of the day.

She offered up the kind of advice a true friend gives ("Ditch your responsibilities.. pick up take-out for everyone else for dinner, and come join me for a pedicure!"). Ah! Affirming advice, indeed!

But her most priceless advice landed in my inbox this afternoon, complete with chapter and verse for reference.

Do I need to make a decision today? The Lord will direct my steps.

Seriously... does God really care about whether I should take my car to the mechanic today or wait until VBS is over next week? He delights in EVERY detail of my life (emphasis mine).

Have I overcommitted? Am I doing too much? Perhaps, but...Though they stumble they will never fall

And who will give me the comfort I seek after the doctors find this precious little baby's heartrate "interesting" during today's prenatal appointment? for THE LORD holds them by the hand (emphasis mine).

His Words amaze me... they leave me speechless... so in awe of the love of my Father. So grateful that He still speaks.

So thankful for friends who are seeking and hiding right along with me.

1 comment:

Surviving 4 said...

A wonderful devotional - thank you.

I hope all is well with Baby Girl. I've been thinking about you so much lately, and can't wait for our visit next month. (Yes, it's going to happen!)

Miss you, friend!