Monday, May 10, 2010

To The Point

I believe in beautifully written stories.
I am a fan of words.
I love a great conversation.

Therefore, I struggle with brevity.

And when I thought about writing a "Mother's Day"-themed post for yesterday, I crafted long, elegant paragraphs in my mind - thoughts about my own parenting, words to share with my mom, etc.

But yesterday morning, my five-year old skipped into the bathroom as I was getting ready for church with a sealed envelope in hand. He excitedly shoved it in my face and hopped up and down as I peeled back the flap and slid out the card.

I opened it up, and heard my son's little high-pitched five-year-old recorded voice say, "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy! I love you! (followed by a few incomprehensible gurgles from Miss M)".

I closed the card and gave each of my children and their daddy a big hug.

"Thank you." I said. "I will keep this card forever. It's the best gift you could have ever given me."

I've listened to it at least twenty times over the past twenty-four hours. With his slight preschool speech impediments, it sounds more like he's saying, "Happy Muvvah's Day, Mommy! I wuv you!"

It is priceless and perfect and captures the very best about what I want to remember of this stage of life.

In seven words.

I have a lot to learn from my kids.

IMG_7169

(P.S., to my own mom... Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!)