Thursday, May 7, 2009

Domestic Support

Before we said our "I Do"'s (almost eleven years ago!!!), my husband and I read through a book called "His Needs, Her Needs" by Willard F. Harley, Jr as part of our pre-marital counseling. It basically laid out the definitions of the top things a husband needs from his wife and those things that the wife needs from a relationship with her husband.

After completing the exercises in the back of the book, I learned that one of my husband's top five "needs" from me was defined as "Domestic Support". Basically, a clean and orderly house. A well-maintained and peaceful environment to come home to after a long day at work.

Poor guy.

I'm just not the Domestically Supportive type. Not in my natural state, that is. It takes effort and an unselfish mindset and good planning and attention to detail to keep a home in order. It takes a desire to want to be the wife my husband needs me to be MORE THAN I want to do whatever pleases me. Oh boy...

Over nearly eleven years of marriage, I have learned that it's atually worth it to show my husband this type of sacrificial love. Listen, if I was a neat freak myself, it would cost me nothing to keep our home tidy. But I'm not. So, every time I unload the dishwasher or make the bed with hospital corners or scrub the kitchen sink, it is only because I know how much it will mean to him.

Most of the time, I fall woefully short in this manner of support. Which is why I was extra-excited to stumble upon a new (to me, only... I take it) blog. Simple Mom is everything I'm not, but a lot of things I aspire to be. And I've joined her party:

simple-mom-spring-cleaning-party

And I'm purchasing her e-book today.

And I'm going to do a little Spring Cleaning this week.

Because nothin' says lovin' like a sparkly clean toilet bowl...

1 comment:

Surviving 4 said...

Wow, were you a fly on the wall of my house yesterday? 'Cause that's pretty much what T and I are dealing with these days. Except that we're both orderly people - but in directly opposite ways! He wants to be able to park in his garage; I could care less. I want him to wipe a kitchen counter; he claims he can't see the dirt. :-) Guess that's why we're paying the big bucks for wise counsel these days!