Monday, May 4, 2009

Four Going on Fourteen

My baby boy turned four years old last week.

He got some money from his grandparents and cousins.

We went to the mall. He bought himself a cell phone.

Lightning McQueen. Red and blue checkered. Plays cool music.

He ignored me for the rest of the outing while he chatted with imaginary friends and made his weekend plans with conversations like, "Yeah. Yeah. Oh sure. Uh huh. OK, see you then."

This morning, I helped him select the perfect outfit for school. When he was dressed, I commented on how cute he looked.

"Mom............ don't say 'CUTE'!!!"

"I'm sorry, what word would you like me to use?"

"AWESOME!"

"Well, then, buddy. You look AWESOME!"

At this rate, our next conversation is going to be about curfews and car insurance.

Perhaps I can convince him to walk around with bricks in his backpack... slow down this "growing up" stuff a little. He may just go for it.

I'll give him a call.

2 comments:

Surviving 4 said...

I'm telling you, it is crazy scary out there. When I win millions in the lottery, I'm going to buy a remote island in the middle of some ocean and ship my kids off to live there until they're thirty.

So funny, my friend!

Anonymous said...

WOW KIDS ARE AMAZING YEAH I HAVE A FOUR YEAR OLD SON HE ASKED ME FOR THE CAR KEYS THE OTHER DAY I COULDN'T FIND THEM WELL HIS SISTER WAS IN THE CAR AND SHE HAD THE KEYS PUT THEM IN THE IGNITION AND HE STARTED THE CAR I WAS VERY SHOCKED AT HOW HE KNEW WHAT TO DO NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE YOUR CHILD ON WHAT THEY CAN DO. BUT IT WAS SCARY SO NOW I PUT MY KEYS TO WERE THAY CAN'T FIND THE. BOYS AND GIRLS THEY ARE SMART