Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Closed Curtains Make Good Neighbors


On Sunday afternoon, I tucked myself into a comfy chair in our front room, determined to catch up on a few days worth of homework from my Bible study (Beth Moore's "Believing God" and it is awesome, btw!!!).

Drew was playing quietly around the house, and my hubby was gone for the afternoon. My ears were only half-heartedly tuned in to what my son was up to, so I had no idea that he'd found the leftover cupcakes from a bridal shower I'd hosted the day before.

I looked up from my workbook just in time to see a bright-pink icing-clad kid whiz through the room and take a gigantic leap onto my relatively new sofa (think: "Cat in the Hat" pink stuff....everywhere).

"AaaghhhwhaaaaaSTOPWHOAeeeee!!!!" was about all I could get out of my mouth.

"Hi Mom!" he said, bright pink frosting covering his face, teeth, hands, ears, hair, white Polo dress shirt, and khaki shorts (I hadn't made him change out of his church clothes yet).

"Ewwww. Buddy, take off those clothes. Go brush your teeth and wash your face. Wash your hands, too, please!!!!! You can stay in your underpants for a little while...just go get cleaned up!"

"WooHoo" (any excuse to run around in just his underpants).

Upon closer inspection, I realized that, mercifully, no pink icing had landed on the couch. So, I just settled back into my workbook and tried to refocus on the awesome lesson unfolding.

A few minutes later, Drew emerged from his bedroom, smelling of soap and toothpaste, clad only in a huge smile and his Superman skivvies.

"Just play quietly for a few minutes, buddy. Mommy will be done soon."

"OK." He stood at the front windows, blinds open, staring across the street. The neighbors who live directly across the street from our house also go to church with us and have become sweet, sweet friends. Drew gets immensely excited when he sees their boys playing outside and always wants to go see them.

"Miss Keweee, Miss Keweee!!!!" he began shouting.

"Is Ms. Kelly across the street?"

"Yes! Hi, Miss Kewee! Hi!!!!!!" he shouted, at the top of his lungs, as he bounced up and down.

"Shhhhh, buddy. She can't hear you from way over there," I mumbled as I flipped through my Bible, trying to concentrate on the question I'd just read 3 times.

"She can SEE me!"

Oh, I hope not, I thought as I looked up at the half-naked child jumping up and down in the front window and our dog who was now just as excited about the commotion as Drew was.

"She's coming! She's coming this way! Hi Miss Kewee!"

Honestly, I briefly hoped that he was mistaken, but the doorbell proved him right.

Somewhat sheepishly, I answered the door, accompanied by my main man in Superman boxers and my very, very enthusiastic dog, both practically jumping up and down to welcome our visitor.

"Hi! Let me explain. It all started with a cupcake and I'm trying to get this Bible study stuff done, and I didn't want my house to look like Dr. Seuss, and..."

"Are you kidding, I love it!" was her reply. And with four boys of her own, I know I probably needed to offer no explanation whatsoever.

But in the future, I do believe that I'll keep our curtains drawn when Drew's running around in nothing but his underpants. Then again, it's always a good show around here...

No comments: