Friday, July 11, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame


We just took Drew to his very first Major League baseball game.

On the way to the stadium, the stress of the day and the long drive to our destination had gotten the better of both my hubby and me. We were in a battle of wills (both of ours are strong) over how to find our group of friends, where to park, how much cash we would need and which lane of backed-up traffic I should have chosen to steer our car into. I finally, in my sweetest tone, suggested that perhaps my beloved should just get out of the car and walk the rest of the way to the stadium. It's not as bad as it sounds, we were already in the parking lot...

He refused. I pushed back. He didn't want me walking alone with Drew from the parking lot (it was an afternoon game, broad daylight, and I was convinced we'd be fine). I didn't want him to be late (he had coordinated this ballpark outing for several families from our small group at church) as people were expecting him there. Back and forth we went, each of us determined the other would see our point of view. Finally, Drew's daddy looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "I just want to be there when Drew sees it all for the very first time!!!"

Oh... O.K. The rest of the drive to our parking spot was in silence. I'm not sure what my hubby was thinking, but I sure had a lot going through my head. For all the wonderful firsts, the hilarious observations, the good moods and bad moods and all the mundane moments in between, I get to see my son's life unfold in a way that I too often take for granted.

I saw his reaction the first time he climbed out of his crib on his own at 14 months old (yeah, that's not a typo...my little stuntman); I saw his amazement when his body finally obeyed his mind, and he completed his first somersault; I saw the trepidation with which he approached the ocean's waves for the very first time and felt them pull his chubby little body completely off balance and into the surf; the first time he went potty on the toilet, the first time he put his head under water at the pool, the first time he tried a Slurpee (that was yesterday, and boy was that reaction awesome!). I have been there for hundreds of firsts and will be there for thousands more.

My husband was determined to be there for this one, and I was so close to messing that up for him. In those rare moments when Drew's daddy gets a word in edgewise around our house, his insight and desires usually knock my socks off. I'm so grateful for a husband who wants to be there for special moments in Drew's life.

Hmmm... maybe Daddy can be there for Drew's first dentist appointment. Who am I to hog all the precious firsts for myself??

P.S. Drew's reaction to the baseball game was better than we could have imagined. He got a batting helmet upon entering the stadium, said "Wowwy Kazowwy!" as the field came into view when we walked through the tunnel, followed as much of the game as he could understand, and even asked baseball-related questions ("Where are the umpires who call the game? Why did that man run to second base? Is the new batter up yet?"). Oh, and he partially consumed the following stadium fare (apparently we become very obliging parents at a ballpark): cotton candy, bubble gum, soda, corndog, nachos with cheese, and chicken fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this blog entry! :) Drew is sooooo blessed to have the parents he does. :)