Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hide & Seek - Matthew 22:36-40

I'm a little late in updating this week's verse. Which means I'm a little late in memorizing it, too. Which might not be a great thing since I've decided to memorize 4 verses this week.

I have to be honest, I almost chose a verse about pride. I've mentioned it before here, how I wrestle with the issue of pride. Just yesterday, one of my very good friends called me just to let me know that she was in the middle of a Bible study, where it had been pointed out that the godly kings of the Old Testament ended up being the ones who had the greatest struggles with pride.

And it made her think of me.

My first reaction (I kid you NOT) was, "Wow! Godly Kings - and she thought of me... pretty cool"

And then I realized that I really had heard that last part. That these were the ones who had the greatest struggle with pride.

And it made her think of me. "Oh..."

I've chewed on it for a while now, and thought it would be so easy to throw something about pride up on my blog, take a few days to commit something from Proverbs to memory, and have that Scripture ready in my arsenal when my Pride rears it's ugly head.

But God's been working on something much different in my heart this week. And it might just be because He'd like for me to focus on something besides my own failures. Like Him, for instance. And maybe His people.


Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for focusing on my own issues, now does it!?

No comments: