Friday, January 9, 2009

In with the new...

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Today, I finally had a few moments to play around with my sidebar (over there... to your right). I've added a few features that I'd like to introduce.

The first was prompted by a simple enough question from Danielle as she was designing my new "look". She asked me to email her the name of my blog and the verse that I wanted to be a part of my new header.

I was caught without a thought. I had no idea. Overwhelmed by the notion that this was a very important decision, I couldn't commit to a single verse of Scripture. I told her to leave it without one for now... I'd think of something. Then God began to work in my heart.

I was reminded of all the times this year when His word has jumped off the pages of my Bible and spoken to the specific needs of my day. When Scripture verses I learned as a little girl came rushing back into my thoughts to strengthen or encourage me in a moment of weakness. When a friend emailed or called with a story about how she'd been reading her Bible or devotion for the morning and just had to share an amazing verse... you get the idea.

God's Word is living, active, and sharper than a sword (Hebrews 4:12 even says so...). I'm not sure if I'll find a Bible verse that I will want to put on my "header", but I don't want it to be because I wasn't looking for it.

So...

Hide & Seek
I've added a feature called Hide & Seek. Named partly because it's a game I spend HOURS per week playing with Drew, mostly because it's what the Bible tells us to do. Seek Him by spending time with Him, hiding His Word in our hearts. I'll update the verse weekly with something new that has held special meaning in my life.

I'll start with Psalm 119:11 - "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it? I'm including verses that I want to commit to memory in this new year. Feel free to comment if you have a special verse that you'd like to share.

I Spy
Since I'm naming things after Drew's favorite pasttimes, I decided to rename my links to the other blogs I follow. And I hope to add a few more links for you to enjoy. This week, I added "Stuff Christians Like". This is one of those blogs that ALWAYS makes me laugh. And usually, there's a word over there that knocks me back a few feet. Today, I read one of those posts, and I hope you find a moment to check it out when you can (make sure you read through the whole thing).

I think that's all for now. I'll be back to posting more stories about Drew soon. I'm sure you can just imagine the material I have to work with after 2 thirteen hour car trips and a lot of questions about heaven... stay tuned!

No comments: