Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Let's Bring Him Home!!!

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. (James 1:27)




"On November 6, 2008 a small basket was found abandoned by the Jia River in the Southern Province of Jiangsu in The People's Republic of China.

Inside, a tiny baby boy missing part of his right hand was found by the local police department and taken to a nearby orphanage. That very same week, a couple in a far away place called Clearwater, Florida remained obedient to the Lord's calling on their lives and placed an application to adopt a special needs child from China.

So began their journey to find one another.

After nearly eight months and mountains of paperwork , this couple has finally received a much anticipated referral for the precious little boy..."


This was the email that I received in my inbox the other day. The couple who will be adopting this sweet child attends my church. And their story... still in the process of being written... has burrowed itself deep into my heart. The more I learn, the more I want to be a part of bringing this little boy home to his parents.

But so much still separates this family - more than just oceans and continents and paperwork. Those of you who have adopted (or know someone who has) also know the financial commitment involved.

So, today I just want to use whatever platform this blog allows me to ask you to pray over this situation. I don't want to use any names, in order to assure this family some privacy, but God will direct your prayers.

And if He directs your heart to help, I want to let you know about 2 great opportunities to pour out blessings in a tangible way.

First, the family is selling navy blue rubber bracelets for $5 each in order to offset the remaining costs associated with the adoption, and I'm so pleased to be able to help out by offering you the opportunity to purchase one (or five, or ten!!). Please leave me a comment with your email address if you'd like more information about the bracelets and I'll coordinate each request individually with you!

Also, if you happen to live in the Tampa, FL area - we're holding a community yard sale fundraiser THIS SATURDAY MORNING (6/20) at the Safety Harbor downtown park (right off of Main Street, with the beautiful white gazebo). If you're interested in donating items to sell - FANTASTIC! Leave me a comment about that, and I'll give you instructions for dropping off your "stuff".

If you'd just like to come shop, even better! Every penny you spend will go directly toward bringing this little boy home to his anxiously-awaiting family.

And LASTLY, because this is so meaningful to me, I want to offer you an incentive to pass along the story. If you feel so led, I would love for you to make a mention and link to this post on your blog. For each blogger who includes a link (just leave me a comment that you did), I will send you a bracelet.

So, just by linking up and passing the word, you're doing something to bring a child to his permanent home!

I look forward to providing periodic updates and am so very grateful in advance for your prayers and support of this family's desire to be obedient to God's calling.

Blessings!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I sent it out via email to all of the members of the MOMS Club of Safety Harbor. Do you want womens clothes to sell? I have 2 huge bags of clothes that I was going to donate but if you all can use them I will get them to you.

Blessings,
Stacy

Jennifer Harvey said...

Hey Jenny. I will put this on ParentGuide calendar section and ask if we can mention it in the newsletter on Friday that goes out to over 5,000 people. Can you write me up a quick one paragraph for the newsletter?

Liz said...

I'm a MOMS club member and I've got some stuff I could donate as well. I have a friend who adopted from China and I know the costs add up. notesfromasmalltown (at) gmail (dot) com.

Anonymous said...

I do not have a blog, but I will pass on an email to my small group and a few other friends. Do I jus at this link in an email or do you have an email form of this info? my email is rebeccabonetti@gmail.com

Surviving 4 said...

It's on my blog, and I'll send something out to my small group as well. What a sweet boy...