Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Writing Prompts

In an effort to glean inspiration, I recently visited some writing websites. One site had a small section labeled "Writing Prompts". I curiously clicked, and my screen displayed a list of hundreds of questions. Simple, one-sentence questions that were designed to "prompt" writers to think creatively...then with fingers to keyboard, respond with brilliant and inspired prose.

Because we just went through a fun holiday, I was drawn to a question that asked me to consider my favorite Halloween costume of all time. And maybe that question appealed to me because I just needed a reason to post THIS picture of Buzz Lightyear and Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl from last Friday night.



It's surely my favorite "recent" costume because Drew loved seeing his mommy as "that cowgirl from the movie!!!!!!"

But thinking back on ALL my Halloween ensembles from years past, I recalled with great delight one of my favorites from childhood.

It was 1983 and I was a PUNK ROCKER. Granted, I had no idea what it meant to be a true PUNK ROCKER because I was seven years old and my parents were responsible adults. To this day, I could not tell you the name of a single "Punk" group past or present. But I knew that they had colorful, crazy hairdos, and that was all the inspiration I needed.

So, my best friend and I wore cut-off jeans, jelly shoes, and t-shirts that we ripped open a little at the neck so they would hang rebelliously off of one shoulder. We tipped our heads to the side and spray-painted our hair with various shades of pink, green and blue. The side-do's were held in place with massive quantities of AquaNet. And because it was 1983 and it only seemed right, we each polished off our look with one white glove.

The overall effect was more "Pop" than "Punk", but I thought my costume was totally tubular!

I may just have to dig a picture out of the dusty old albums to show Drew. I just hope he doesn't ask me what a punk rocker is... because I'm still clueless.

UPDATE - Well, it might have been even better than I remembered. I'll give you a clue as to which punk rocker was "Yours Truly". Hint: A familiar wave of jealousy resurfaced when I pulled out this picture and saw that awesome "Thriller" shirt my friend had. I begged and begged my mom for one just like it. She took an old brown shirt from her closet and splatter-painted it for me. Close. So close.

No comments: