Monday, November 3, 2008

The Last Straw...

She was having a bad day.

Or, at least I assume that she had been inconvenienced in some way LONG before she approached the self-serve soda fountain.

As I filled my cup with raspberry-flavored ice tea (Drew's choice, and I don't recommend it), she squeezed in next to me and loaded her cup with ice.

All was well until she noticed the sign.

"The Pepsi.... is BROKEN!?
Of COURSE it is.
Of COURSE..."

She paused and took three steps back so that her body was now positioned in the midst of the dining area. She squinted and leaned forward.

"Now what am I supposed to do?"

And she just continued to stand there, staring at the Pepsi button. Not even like she was WILLING it to work. No, she had already given up hope. She just stood there in defeat for what seemed like an eternity.

Then she wandered back toward the register, I assume, to change her order.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone needs a soda-soaked shoulder to cry on, I'm your sympathetic girl (read more here). But I just have to wonder if something else brought her to the brink of hopelessness that day.

Because if all that stands between your good day and bad day is a spout that dispenses fizzy syrup, you're asking for some disappointment in your life.

So, what was your latest "Last Straw?"

(Mine occurred somewhere between the 15th "are we there yet?" and the 57th plea for more candy...)

No comments: