Saturday, August 23, 2008

Word of the Week 6

I'm somewhat reluctant to give you this week's word. Mainly, because it's definition is pretty unsavory. My secondary reason is because, when I explain it's meaning next week, I will have to go to a place in my history that I don't enjoy revisiting.

My inspiration for this word choice came from a dear friend's beautifully-crafted blog entry this week. As I read, I stumbled upon a variation of the word HYPEREMESIS.

I couldn't be more sincere when I say that I hope NO ONE ELSE in the world is as intimately acquainted with it's meaning as she has been (or as I, to a smaller degree have been).

So, that's the Word of the Week - HYPEREMESIS.

Last week's W.O.W was LUGUBRIOUS (also inspired by aforementioned friend - it's good to have smart teacher girlfriends).

Definition (straight from dictionary.com): mournful, dismal, or gloomy, esp. in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner.

As Tropical Storm Fay casts her lugubrious shadow over our state for the fourth day, I am surprised by my son's comprehension of the weather. Although we haven't talked with him much at all about it, we have had the TV on in the background throughout the multiple days of weather updates. As the latest update was being broadcast last night, my son studied the screen for a moment, then asked,
"Is Fay still here?"
Well, yes honey. It sure is.
"That sure is a big under-storm."

His observation wasn't incredibly insightful, but it did remind me of how strong and significant the influence of television is in our home. With my hubby's love for all things politics, I guess I won't be surprised when Drew asks my opinion about the current conflict in Georgia or my take on the upcoming election.

And while I LOVE my television time, I find it harder and harder to reconcile the time I choose (or allow Drew) to spend in front of the big screen with a verse that keeps coming to my mind today:

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.(Philippians 4:8)

No comments: